Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Getting anxious.

 

It's all about power !
wires here .. 
wires there .. 
wires everywhere .
wrapping and siding 
Electrician almost ready for  county inspection
tomorrow.
 
history continued ...
 
While working in the school district was great, at minimum wage,
I'm needing a second job to help out with my finances.
   Each day while I was driving down to the school, I would pass a charming lodge, 
 Echo Lake Lodge on Echo  Lake.
I met Barb Day, she runs the lodge and bakes her infamous homemade pies.
If you are ever in Colorado, I highly recommend driving up to Mt. Evans,
which has the highest paved road in the north America up to the observatory
and stop in for a piece of fresh homemade pie at the lodge.
Finally, I  asked Barb if she needed any help.  Her response was "can you start tomorrow?"
My first job was to wash ALL of the dishes, glasses and pots and pans and wash the cupboards
and put all of the kitchen utensils back in place before opening for the season.  The lodge and the mountain are only opened during the summer months.  I could work weekends until the school year is over then full time.   I had to chuckle while I was washing dishes.  I kept thinking about something
Mother Teresa said, "what ever you do, do your best" ... so I did.   I did so well, Barb gave
me 25 cents an hour raise and moved me into the adorable gift shop.  Where I remained for years,
meeting people from all around the world.   World class bicycle races are held on this mountain
and folks came from far and near to ride their bikes and to drive up 14, 620 feet to the top
of Mt. Evans.
Working  two jobs at the same and different times of the year was good.
Only they both paid minimum wage and I was still coming up a bit short.
 
Our kids from the classroom would go to the Idaho Springs Recreational Center
to swim and workout....and, one day I noticed a "Now hiring a front desk position"
hmmmm ......
 
to be continued ...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment