Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Sheet rockin' with Hank !

Sheet rock and supplies have arrived
off loading supplies has always been interesting
in through my bedroom window
tape and glue , I believe.
sheet rock 
Hank, my sheet rocker, has arrived !!
taking on shape
looks great
down the hall...looks like a real house
wow...thanks, Hank, nice job. 
Pat will come by tomorrow to clean up and Dennis
will be taping and gluing.
mama doe showing off her newborn (out my nook window)

history continued ...

  I last left off stranded in my house, during a once-in-every-100-year-snowstorm, that was exciting but a little unnerving,  too.

   Life was happening and I was working a lot of hours in my various jobs.  
   Five years working the front desk at the recreation center was a good experience and it was fun to be around all of the kids and swim and workout,  but I finally decided it was time to turn in my resignation.   I worked after school until closing, around 9:00 p.m. or whenever the numbers matched up in my accounting.   But one night after gripping the steering wheel, and  driving the switchbacks in my trustworthy Subaru Outback up 10,000 ft in the snow to my house and with a knot in my stomach....I thought, I don't want to do this anymore.    I turned in my letter of resignation the next day with bittersweet feelings but I really didn't want to drive home, late in the snow anymore.

  At the same time, the state was cutting funding for the Mentoring program and that ended my work there.   I missed the income from these two jobs but now I had more time to plot and plan.

  So, I continued to work in Special Education at the high school .  I would work at the gift shop at Echo Lake Lodge on weekends during the school year and summers.   Andrew  and I continued to swim and spend Sunday's together.
    In 2005 my son graduated from McPherson College with two degrees, his Associates Degree in Classic Car Restoration and a Bachelor of Science Degree.
He would move home for a time and enjoy Colorado and then pack up a U-haul truck and a trailer, with his Model A on it and head for Tacoma, Washington.. his birth place. He would now be close to the Vaughn Property but living in a trailer in Tacoma while volunteering/apprenticing at the LeMay restoration shop.  He has been hard at it going on 12 years now and is very skilled in his field.  

 In fact, both of my son's are entrepreneurs and are skilled in their areas of work.
Both boys were diagnosed with BMD (Becker's Muscular Dystrophy) when they were in their late 20's.    
    This was not in any of our plans. 
  However, both boys (men) continue to go forward with their hopes and dreams and live pretty full live's.  MDA says they are close to a cure and I am holding them to it.

  I am 57 years old  now and thinking in terms of retirement and moving back home and building my house.   My dilemma is should I retire at 62 or 65 ?  Do I want  more time or more money ? I'd like to have both.



to be continued ...













No comments:

Post a Comment